Sunday, September 14, 2008

This was more like it!

Today was a good day in the search for a church - and that is much appreciated and needed!

We went to another church that I found online. It is a very big church, but it doesn't seem to have the mega church mentality that I soooooo dislike. That, in my definition, is a big church that as soon as you get there wants to break you up into small groups.

Well this church is big - there is no denying that. The complex itself is almost too daunting. The fact that I found 3 different welcome centers is evidence of that fact. I had done a mystery dinner for their youth group a few years back so I had at least been in the facility but they had expanded it since then. Really the feeling I got was like the first day in High school where you never really know where you are going or how to get from one place to the other.

Tom went to drop off Timothy and Eva in the Senior and Junior high classes respectively. It was not that we didn't think that they could find the way, but we wanted to know where to meet them after Sunday School so we could all go to church together.

I went to drop off Emily. I like the idea that there are about 10 kids in a class. I think that is really neat. That way they are not one of a crowd, but they have kids to interact with - and being that mine are home schooled, church is a big place for that to happen. I like the idea of that number of kids but this was a class with 10 first graders. This puts it in perspective if every year has around 10 kids, this will give you an idea of the scope of the church.

Tom and I went to the adult class. That was such a pleasant experience. There are no shortage of adult classes, but when I was dropping off Emily someone invited us to this one and we went. It was great! There was prayer, learning, and an honest discussion. I didn't realize how much I missed that. And the really great thing was that the kids all liked there classes as well. Even Timothy who has said the same thing every week. "It was Ok." said today, "It was really good" and in teenspeak that is a reasoning affirmation.

There are 3 worship services on Sunday morning and we went to the last one today. It was great too. The music was all contemporary but the other services have different musical styles. The minister was just starting a new series so for once we didn't come into the middle of something. It was an excellent sermon on God's love - a message which many minister I have heard sadly gloss over. We are looking forward to going back next week.

We are not ready to make a commitment right now, and there are places we still do want to go back to but at least for the next few weeks, we are going to explore this church and see where the Lord leads.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Yea!!!! I'm so happy for you! I also tagged you. CHeck out my blog if you want to play along.